Happy July 4th weekend everyone! The long weekend is one of those times when you binge eat and then panic about how to lose all those pounds. Exactly how I feel right now! I got around with a couple of friends for a cookout dinner party on July 4th night, since it’s so much fun to have a potluck style dinner than be stuck in traffic while people are trying to get to places to see the July 4th fireworks. It’s also a lot more fun to go grocery shopping the day before, drink while cooking, multitask playing monopoly. July 4th morning started early with some eggs, fruit, and green juice for breakfast. Healthy, you would think? Well, we had a piece of some lovely Tiramisu cake, which was baked by a lady next door. Who says you can’t have cake on Independence day? 🙂
Afternoon, we hiked at a trail in the Santa Monica mountains and by the time we got back home, everyone was starving. Hiking just before cooking a sumptuous dinner is a great idea! Cooking will relax you, as I have written about in my other blog here. Also, you won’t feel so guilty about all the food you will eat, since you just got your workout. See, great idea right? 🙂 My friends were going to make some potato nachos and s’mores for dessert. I was going to make a tilapia piccata with a side of garlic stir fry broccolini. Tilapia is an easy white fish to cook. It also takes in flavor pretty nicely. Piccata is a style of serving meat/fish which originated in Italy. The meat/fish is cooked and then served in a sauce. My favorite version of this sauce is a lemon-garlic-caper sauce. I actually love anything with lemon in it! So, naturally my choice was to make this sauce to serve the tilapia in. My friends devoured the dish within no minutes, and there were no leftovers. Try it for your next potluck dinner invitation and people are sure to be in awe of your cooking skills 🙂
Tilapia fillets- 3
All purpose flour- 1/2 cup
Onion- 1, white. Diced.
Lemon- 2, juiced; 1 diced.
Olive oil- 2 tbsp
Butter- 1 tbsp
Capers- 2 tsp
Parsley- 1 tbsp, chopped
Garlic- 2 pods, chopped
Dry white wine- 1/2 cup
1. Clean the fish and smear it with salt and pepper. Next, put the flour onto a plate and dredge the fish in this.
2. Heat up the oil in a skillet and fry the tilapia in the oil about 4 minutes per side.
3. When all the filets are done, place them on an oven safe rack. Preheat the oven to the lowest possible setting in your oven and put the rack in.
4. Dice the garlic and lemon. In the same pan, add in the butter, fry the lemons and keep aside.
5. In the same pan, fry the onions till translucent. Add in the garlic and saute. Pour in the white wine and the capers. Followed by the lemon juice. Mix this up nicely for about 2 minutes till the sauce thickens.
6. Take the tilapia out of the oven, distribute the sauce evenly across the 3 pieces and place the lemon on them. Serve this with a side of broccollini which has been stir fried in garlic over the stove top and garnished with salt and pepper.
This was served with some yummy potato nachos and some barbecued vegetables.
This was wiped out with some good wine and these amazing things called s’mores, which we made with graham crackers, hershey chocolates and marshmallows. So delicious!