My favorite kind of green beans is Chinese long beans, also called as yardlong beans or snake beans.
Look how nice and long and yummy they look. I bought a pound of these beans last week and ended up making two dishes- Long beans stir fry (Kerala style) and Linguine with long beans and lemon sauce.
Long beans stir fry (Kerala style)
Long beans- 1/2 pound
Onion- 1, chopped
Garlic- 2 pods, minced
Green chilli- 4, chopped
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaf- a couple
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Water- 1 tsp
Oil- 1 tsp
1. Cut the long beans into long pieces, like this. Chop onions, green chilli and mince the garlic.
2. Heat oil, add mustard seeds. When they crackle add garlic and mustard seeds. Add onion and saute. Now add all the powders and fry till the raw taste is gone. Add green chillis and the long beans. Mix nicely. Add a little bit of water, cover and cook on simmer for 10 minutes. The beans should be crunchy and cooked when you switch off. Serve hot with white rice.
Linguini with Long Beans and Lemon Sauce
Linguini- 1 packet (You can use spaghetti too)
Green beans- 1/2 pound
Lemon zest- 1 tsp
Olive oil- 2 tsp
Tomato- 1, sliced
Green pepper- 1 sliced
1. Cook the linguine till al dente and keep aside reserving about 1 cup of the water.
2. Heat the olive oil, add the beans and saute for 2 minutes. Now add the capsicum, followed by the tomato. Add in the lemon zest and mix well. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add some pasta water, around 1/2 cup, and cook for 2 minutes. Now add the linguini and mix well. If need be, add more pasta water to loosen the mixture. If not, add salt and pepper and switch off the flame. Garnish with cheese (optional).
Linguini with green beans and lemon sauce is served with a side of Roasted Asparagus, eggs, and pine nuts.
Roasted asparagus, eggs, and pine nuts
I bought some fresh asparagus from the local farmer’s market and its shelf life is very bad. So, I decided to cook them as a side for the linguini pasta.
1. Boil 2 eggs, shell them and keep only the whites and keep aside. Dry roast pine nuts and keep aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet and roast the asparagus. It should take around 3 minutes per side.
3. In a plate, serve asparagus, eggs and pine nuts. Add salt and pepper.